Home Forums General Discussion Heatpump Hotwater Cylinder Programming Reply To: Heatpump Hotwater Cylinder Programming

Virginia Driver
Participant

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your feedback.

I have tried contacting the supplier but they are an australian company and have not been forthcoming with information.

The heatpump is preset to 56 degrees and with the tempering valve there is no point in changing this. The system does have a legionnaires setting/event that happens regularly to make sure that this is not a problem when it is running below 60 degrees.

There are some preset times that the manual suggests for running efficiently but from what I can see they don’t account for temperatures dropping below the minimum to turn the boost on. This model does go a lot lower temperature wise that most models.

The suggestion in the manual is that it takes 8-12 hours to reheat the cylinder from cold. As this is a 320litre cylinder i would hope that we don’t use the full tank. Though I have a 15 year old who does like having a bath in the evening.

My concern with restricting heating times and therefore when the boost comes on, especially if having baths in the evenings, is that the water won’t heat up overnight (as temps are usually below 7 degrees here for 8-9 months of the year overnight). Then we will get cold showers in the morning.

We are looking at putting in solar pvs to help run the cylinder and maybe this might offset the boost coming on in the evenings, especially in those milder seasons, autumn and spring, but probably isn’t going to cover it in the winter.

We did have a heatpump hotwater cylinder a few years ago when we lived in Te Anau and found that the boost did come on quite often. It was a similar type to our current one. There does seem to have been some progress in the intervening years to increase efficiency especially at lower temperatures with this one working down to -15 degrees. We chose a heatpump hotwater cylinder as we could put it outside (we have a small house and the old hwc was in a cupboard in the kitchen) and because the other option gas seems to me to not be sustainable going forward (with gas prices no doubt increasing in the future).

Thanks
Virginia