Home Forums General Discussion Availability of products – v-strips and window insulation film

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alexking
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know if v-strip/v-seal draught excluders are actually available anywhere? I have never actually seen them for sale although they are often recommended for sealing uneven wooden doors and windows. (e.g. https://www.energywise.govt.nz/at-home/draught-stopping/)

Likewise, any tips on plastic film window insulation? I went to Mitre 10 and they only had 3M kits available, which I’m sure are fine but seemed expensive.

I’d prefer to recommend products that are available and reasonably priced.

Ian McChesney
    Participant

Hi Alex
    There are various outlets in NZ stocking the Stormguard V seal draught excluder – CEA in Christchurch (http://www.cea.co.nz/Shop/CEA-Shop-accessories/CEA-V-seal-doors-windows-__I.964__C.19235__N.17403); Sustainability Trust in Wellington; and maybe Bunnings – I saw some on their shelves in Christchurch only a couple of weeks ago although it doesn’t appear in their on-line stock list.

Window film – alternative brands to 3M are available through both CEA and Sus Trust, and 3M brand also available in Bunnings; I’m not sure that they are much cheaper though. Re the relative expense – depending on window area, one kit can go a long way, so overall cost per window can be quite low, particularly when compared with alternatives. But one problem with installing film now in my experience, where we have already had a couple of periods of cold weather, and window condensation may have started to seep into frames, is the risk of trapping moisture behind the film.
    regards
    Ian

Paul Hansen
    Participant

Raven is the company we used to have supply us with V-seals. Frames have to be so clean to make work effectively. Tricky to keep the stick on working.

alexking
    Participant

Yes, I saw the problem of condensation behind secondary glazing at a house I assessed recently. They had had secondary glazing installed (glass) in their multi-pane casement windows, and many panes were half obscured with condensation inside. That would likely be difficult to fix, but I’m wondering if it’s likely to improve over time with the water migrating through the wooden frames?

I also wonder if I should be recommending closing the room up and putting the dehumidifier on full blast for a couple of days prior to installing secondary glazing, that may reduce the likelyhood of condensation between the panes.

Since my work only involves recommendations and not installs, it has to be somewhere the public can buy from. I’ll check out bunnings for both products.

I recommend a wash with detergent then with vinegar solution before a thorough dry before applying the self-adhesive products.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.