Home Forums General Discussion Energy Efficiency in Lockwood Homes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Renee Rushton
    Participant

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to everyone who answered my query on wall insulation! Very useful stuff!

This time I’m interested in learning about ways to make a Lockwood Home more energy efficient. My client has insulated U/F, but can’t insulate the walls or Ceiling as there is no space.

I’ve sent her all the usual information relating to the thermal envelope, using energy efficient heating and appliances, cylinder wraps, energy efficient behaviours etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had any specific experience with Lockwood Homes and making them energy efficient?

Thanks!

Renee

Norman Smith
    Participant

Hi Renee,

I have in my hand a sample of a lightweight but very high density 25mm thick insulation product with reflective foil on one side called Soffit Board which is installed in sheets up against the ceiling where there is a skillion roof and no space to install insulation. I understand it is also available with gib-board attached so this is installed on the ceiling and then plastered and painted like standard gib. I understand there are other products made by this company.

However,

1. While in theory it looks good and I understand the supplier is a substantial Australian manufacturer, I have not yet had any occasion to specify this product so have not taken the time to research how it performs, and

2. I have no idea if it would be suitable for Lockwood in terms of finish; in most houses this product would replicate the existing painted ceiling surface, in the case of a Lockwood home it would cover the timber ceiling.

As with my earlier posting re wall insulation I have not named this product because even though I have no connection with the company I am not aware of any Hub policy around naming names- for better or for worse.

As a matter of interest, I am aware there is a long history of Lockwood engaging in debate about national energy efficiency standards. I don’t know how the EE performance of their new homes compares with those they built 5, 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It might be important to know the age of the house in question. There will be people such as Nigel Isaacs who can comment further; I will ask him if you want to know any more.

Cheers, Norman Smith

Hi Norman

At this stage we haven’t set policies around the Hub. That’s part of the pilot process and something we will need engagement and agreement from participants on. However for the time being we have some very light terms and conditions which hopefully everybody saw when they logged in for the first time.

They talk about not posting information for commercial gain. If you don’t have any personal interest in the product I don’t see why you shouldn’t name it. It may be useful for Renee or others and / or it may spark some more conversation and therefore lead to better knowledge. If you (or anyone) does have a pecuniary interest then that should be made transparent. That’s my opinion but I’m very keen to hear others thoughts and also happy to re-consider that position if there are other risks I haven’t considered that might in some way impose on the viability of the Hub. My position is that we should be guided by the “principles” of the hub and facilitating open engagement in a way that people are comfortable (feel safe) with.

What do other people think?

Should we be talking about specific products/suppliers in the Hub or should we be talking about classes products only?

Also, what about where innovation is required? How do we help people find solutions?

Remember this is a pilot so its about trying things out. Its really important to hear others views AND its a closed (log in only) environment at present, so feel free to express your views…

By the way, I am in the process of getting some legal advice around the Hub so any thoughts/concerns people want to raise will help inform that process.

Norman Smith
    Participant

Hi All, the product is Kingspan – http://www.kingspanpanels.co.nz/- and the NZ company is based in Christchurch. I emphasise I haven’t researched their products and don’t even know if they have BRANZ accredition. Does anybody else know about them?

Norman

Renee Rushton
    Participant

Thanks Norman – I’ve passed this information on now.

Paul Hansen
    Participant

kia ora all,

We have insulated ceilings like this retrospectively, but they are not straight forward ever.

Raked & skillion roofs always pose this issue. If the roof ever comes off time to improve. issue here is there is typically very limited space between the roof and the ceiling lining to achieve a good/high R-value (75mm – 100mm available space is typical) and remembering you need space for product thickness + a 25mm breather gap between insualtion and roofing element.

Another method is to install inside the house under the existing ceiling and between the exposed beams. This MUST then be relined as soon as poss as it breaks a few sanitary & safety rules (cooking bathroom areas) and potential fire risks (kitchen). The issue with this concept as stated in a previous post is, while gaining an area where thicker insulation can be installed, by using this method and relining you could be loosing the nice timber sarking look of the Lockwood.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.