Home Forums General Discussion What do you want from the Hub?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Ok, so I’ve asked you to share your thoughts to get the conversation started… It seems only fair I should do the same thing.

My thoughts on the Hub to date…

Its taken a looooong time to get to this stage which has been frustrating for me, but I have been hugely impressed and motivated by the level of enthusiasm from all of you (and others) about the potential value of this concept.

I think one challenge will be capturing and conveying that enthusiasm, and the dialogue and trust, that occurs in a physical space (at a meeting like in Feb or just over a coffee or beer) in this online space. That doesn’t mean we can’t do it – it will just be a new experience. I’ll try to facilitate these conversations and we’ll soon find out what does and doesn’t work, but I think you’ll all need to bring that same real world dialogue to this space for it to work.

Two things I want to see happen from the pilot…?

• I want to gain a really clear understanding of your needs as practitioners so we can identify how we might meet them.
    • I want to get a really good conversation going – essentially keeping the real life conversations going and building on them.
    • I want to become clear about the on-going business model and governance/ownership for this Hub if its going to live past the pilot.

So that’s actually three things, but I was feeling generous… What do you want to see happen, and what do you think about the Hub so far?

Sarah Firth
    Participant

Hi Sally,

This is looking great! Well done. Two things I would like from the hub:

1. I can’t wait for the resource library, I guess the most important part for me (apart from quality/ up to date material) is finding a way that makes it all easily discoverable i.e. folders with topic dividers.

2. Will  organisations be able to create profiles? – I would find it really valuable to know which organisation other practitioners are linked to and a little bit about them… maybe a way to do this without creating more profiles could be to have a space in the practitioners profile for a link to their organisations website.

I hope this is the kind of thing you were after. Thanks Sally for all your hard work.

Absolutely. Thanks Sarah! (and you get a prize for being the first to post something too… : ))

I’m looking forward to the best practice library too. The developer is working on it at the moment.  Because of the budget it may not be a “bells and whistles” version to begin with but it will allow us to build the library and find out what we need.

Re: organisational profiles. Not sure yet. This may be a stage two thing, but I’ll see what we can do at the moment.

That’s really useful. thanks.

phillcoxon
    Keymaster

Hi Sarah.

I’m working with Sally on the website development.  Great suggestions.

We’re still testing options for the Best Practice library so any suggestions like yours in terms of features required are fantastic at this stage.  I’m going to add your feedback to the list.

Thank you!

Rebecca Ford
    Participant

Hi all.

Great job Sally and Phil on getting the hub up and running. It’s looking really good. Just a few ideas of what I want and what would be useful for me:

1) Like Sarah I am looking forward to the resource library and the ability to see who others are and connect. But realise this takes some time.

2) I’d like to be informed (maybe via email) when someone posts something/something is added that I want to look at. But at the same time I dont want every single update as this would be frustrating. I don’t know if we can do this by having filters/options to select and deselect what sort of information gets pushed to you, and what you have to search for (like the way facebook, for example, gives you these options).

3) I want to be able to easily contact other users when I am looking for something in particular (for example, ideas from the community about how they engage with households/recruit people/etc. etc.), and I want to have an easy way for this information to be shared (privately if necessary).

Looking forward to working with you over the coming months and seeing how this develops! Great stuff Sally – it seems all your hard work is starting to pay off!

Thanks Becky, from what I understand most of what you’ve mentioned is do-able.

I’m catching up with Phill again soon and we’ll talk this through and I’ll post back to you on those points so everyone can see what is and isn’t possible. I agree it needs to be the right level of notification so we know what’s going on, without it being overwhelming.

I’ll be back in touch with everyone next week about activating the best practice library too.

Cheers

Richard Popenhagen
    Participant

Great job to get this up and running – thanks for all your hard work.
    In regards to what do I want from the Hub:
    1)    Filling information gaps
    The ability to use to collective knowledge, wisdom and contacts of the Hub members to help fill gaps in knowledge on particular topics. The resource library will help here, but for topics not (yet) included in the library material, being able to ask for help and advice via the forum will be great. This will also feed into more resource material being created for the library over time.
    2)    Being kept in the loop
    For some of us we maybe get a bit isolated at times. Just knowing what other people are up to (work wise) can help feed into our own work streams and allow connections that assist us in what we are trying to achieve. Sometimes we become aware of events or activities after they have happened, which we would have liked to participate in but missed. Some sort of listing/ alerts/ events calendar of upcoming events that people can easily add to would be good, or maybe another forum topic called “Upcoming events/ activities”?
    I am sure other ideas will follow
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks Richard, that’s really useful feedback. I certainly hope the forums will be used as you say – a place where practitioners can ask each other questions and disseminate collective knowledge.

Your idea of a forum for events and activities is a good one. I’ll find out if there is another way to do it, if not I’ll set up a new forum. Its a good reminder as I can think of a few things to put on it already!

Cheers

John Williams
    Participant

Hi Sally and Phill, after a few minutes poking around, I have some thoughts.  Firstly, I assume that this site is powered by WordPress?  If so, some of my recommendations might not be possible, due to limitations of that platform.

1. It would be nice if it was a bit faster.  But you can’t have everything 😉

2. It would be great if there was a way to add information about yourself.  If the Hub is about building community and sharing, members should be able to know more about other members than their name and possibly avatar.  I can’t see any way to add a free-text description of myself on my profile.   I see others have asked for this as well.  It’s got another vote now.

3. Some way to rate, comment on or otherwise attach meta-data to items in the content library.  I think that identifying documents that are truly helpful, and offering suggestions to the author(s) for improvement (or simply giving thanks!) would be very helpful.

Thanks heaps for your work on this so far, and thanks for letting me participate 🙂

Thanks John

On the speed… I check with Phill (not my area of expertise!) but I agree it does seem a bit slow at the moment.

On the profile. Hmm. When we first launched the site it worked, then there was a bug, then it was fixed, now it seems not to be working again… I had filled all my info out but its disappeared. Again will speak with Phill.

And on the Best Practice Library, that’s on our to do list. What we are looking at is finding a way people can vote or comment on the content. We want some kind of quality assurance for the content on the site and some kind of system where users can vote may be the way to go. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for all comments!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.