Home Forums General Discussion What is home performance?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately. What does Home Performance mean to YOU?

Many of us on this forum have come from a narrower ‘energy efficency’ focus and, I think, struggle sometimes to really envisage the whole house as a system. I think its really important to ensure the Hub has a focus on whole of house performance not just aspects of it (i.e. insulation, ventilation, PV, water).

To describe what we’re about I’ve tried to come up with a reasonable definition of Home Performance.

This is my attempt. What do you think? What’s good? What’s missing? Does it describe what we’re tying to achieve?

“Home performance” is the science and practice of building and improving homes to make them as comfortable, safe, resource efficient and durable as possible. A home that performs well is one that is warm, dry, uses resources efficiently and is affordable to heat and maintain. Good home performance depends on lots of things interacting well – the design of a house, the materials it is built from, the systems and appliances that use energy and water and deal with waste, and the habits and choices of the occupants”.

petermcdonald
    Participant

Sally that looks great. The only thing I can think of that is not mentioned in the last sentence, and is definitely a factor in Dunedin is site drainage.

petermcdonald
    Participant

Can’t quite see how to make a new post so here is another item. Had occasion today to have a discussion with someone from ACC about past and future self-employment efforts which ended with a discussion of which job classification is appropriate for Home Performance Advisors.
    What came out was a Classification Code of 78230 and a code for use on tax documents of:
    M692310 – Building Consultancy Services.
    Are these the codes that people are using at present??

Paul Hansen
    Participant

“Home performance” is the science and practice of building and improving homes to make them as comfortable, safe, resource efficient and durable as possible. A home that performs well is one that is warm, dry, uses resources efficiently and is affordable to heat and maintain. Good home performance depends on lots of things interacting well – the design of a house, the materials it is built from, the systems and appliances that use energy and water and deal with waste, and the habits and choices of the occupants”

maybe tag something to the first sentence, ‘and that the house fits well within its natural environment’?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.