Home Forums General Discussion anyone offer downlight upgrades (lighting + insulation?)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vicki Cowan
    Keymaster

Hi forum members,
    I have been talking to a homeowner after his involvement in a ventilation study I managed for BRANZ. We got onto talking about downlights, as you do. I offered to send him some links about upgrading his so he could safely improve his ceiling insulation. I’ve done this but feel like there is a bit of a gap in information and or service to the public here.

Here’s my request – do any of you offer homeowners a lighting service that reviews current state of a household’s downlights, upgrades bulbs/fixtures and then completes the ceiling insulation. I see Sustainability Trust here in Wellington does, but this homeowner is in Auckland. If you do, how do you advertise and provide information so public can find you and seek the service.

EDA’s have I found the next topic for one of your excellent fact sheets?

Look forward to hearing from those of you on the doorsteps!
    Regards,
    Vicki

Richard Popenhagen
    Participant

Yes the EDA’s recently had a discussion on downlight developments and we should incorporate this into an information sheet at some stage. Two very important points, 1) Make sure that the downlights are the new IC-4 rating. These are tested to ensure that no air transfer is permitted between living spaces and the ceiling space. The IC-4 replaces the IC-F rating. 2) Make sure the drivers (the electronic devices that control the power to the lights) are able to be covered with insulation. Most drivers can not be covered, which requires the electrician to cut a hole in the insulation so that the driver can sit on top of the insulation. More drivers are coming on the market that are now coverable and can be installed under the insulation. Ideally the downlights would also have an minimum IP rating of IP65. A lot are only IP44 rated, some as low as IP20.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.