Home Forums General Discussion Implications of new lighting technologies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Norman Smith
    Participant

In the course of assisting my daughter and her husband undertake an energy efficiency upgrade on the house they have just bought in Auckland – with 14 downlights – I am getting myself up to speed with the implications of LED lights.

I wonder if people would be interested in what I have learned from both a technical and market perspective, also how these might be pulled into the Auckland Council’s ‘Retrofit your Home’ targeted loan programme – their extension of Warm Up NZ. But perhaps everyone is aware of the state of play. Cheers, Norman Smith

• This topic was modified 11 years, 2 months ago by phillcoxon. Reason: Moved topic to the Discussion forum
    Norman Smith
    Participant

To clarify: This lighting question was in the context of existing best and safe practise with the installation of ceiling insulation – if and how that may change as it becomes possible to abut up to and/or cover the lamps with insulation. Norman

Richard Popenhagen
    Participant

Norm, I am  keen to hear your thoughts and experiences, so please fire away.

Cheers Richrd P

Norman Smith
    Participant

Hi Richard,
    My thinking around this was to initiate a conversation using the hub and see what happens.
    It really may be that EDAs et al are up to speed and I am behind the 8-ball.
    So I won’t get too frantic in trying to compile an extended document but start to put something together and in the meantime see if anyone else comments on-line.
    I’m not sure if this is the kind of way the hub is intended to be used, but I think it is.                                   Either way it looks like we are the crash test dummy
    Regards, Norman

Hi Norman and Richard

Getting practitioners connected and sharing info and experiences is exactly what the Hub is for, so this is great!

Norman, anything you’ve learnt that you think is of value please feel free to share. If you have particular questions of others fire away too. Others may be able to help fill in gaps.

Paul Hansen
    Participant

Well it is great to be in and on the hub and see it working.

Our experiance to date with the new light regs has been limited due to the relatively short time on the market.  IC-F is the best rating and allows insulation to be abutted and/or covering the light. In my view, until you cover the light you will never achieve the optimum R-value from your insulation.

As installers we have to be very wary of what ratings existing lights have. To this end unless we can visually id the rating on the light fitting or associated documents, we will still put in previoulsy existing clearances around lights. We do this because if it all goes pear shaped and there is a house fire, we the installers will be liable. A house fire I can live with. A death in the house fire I can’t. So the potential risk AND liablity are huge. I will not take a homeowners word that the lights are IC-F rated or evn the CA & IC rated lights which allow close abuttment of insulation.

So if you are getting the above rated lights installed and the ceiling space commercially insulated, keep the spec sheet from the lights. If a sparkie installs them get a Compliance sheet stating what he has installed to make it clearer and simpler for the insulation team to verify.

This light issue has been a pain in the proverbial butt for a long time and I think we are starting to make real progress now with the type of lights coming onto the market. LED’s operate at such a low temp they are now where near the hazard of existing lights. The scary ones are definately the halogens with wire bound transformers (typically black). The wire bound transformers themselves get very hot and I have seen them fail and melt. The level of non compliant light install historicall is also very high.

Richard Popenhagen
    Participant

It is great to see the hub up and running and yes Norm, someone has to start the ball rolling so thank you for being that person and taking the first step.

In regards to downlights it is something that the EDA’s have been discussing at lenghth for sometime now. It is certainly a problem and I agree with Phil that you need to tread very carefully.

BRANZ bulletin 539 which gives some general info on the differnt downlight classes, insulation clearances etc ( tried to attach a PDF copy but failed).

Cheers

Richard P

Hi Richard

Can you tell me where/how you tried to upload the PDF and I’ll see if I can help. Was it in the best practice library or in our forum post?

Can you tell me what happened so we can try to fix it if there is a glitch?
    Thanks

Norman Smith
    Participant

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Paul,thanks for your posting.

It seems to me there are three drivers to install IC-F rated fittings at the same time as ceiling insulation – reducing running cost, reduced heat loss in winter and in places such as Auckland reduced heat gain in summer. From a conversation with Auckland Council last month it is possible in the next year or so they will extend their “retrofit your home” targetted rate loan to include LEDs. This would overcome the capital cost barrier. Plenty of public discussion about this on EcoBob. e.g. http://www.ecobob.com/Forum/ForumPosts/7543/Re-LED-lighting–are-they-really-worth-it.aspx?ShowForumPostId=9490.

Cheers, Norman

Has anyone seen these ATA webinars? Specifically this one one energy efficient lighting?

http://www.ata.org.au/news/register-for-the-energy-efficient-lighting-webinar/

ATA is the (Australian) Alternative Technology Association.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.