Home Forums General Discussion Thermally broken uPVC window frames

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kat Achterberg
    Participant

Hi,
    I heard somewhere that it is important to choose thermally broken uPVC window frames over non-thermally broken uPVC frames. I did not know a difference between the two existed and I can’t find anything online. Can anybody clear this up for me? Do thermally broken uPVC window frames exist (or rather, do non-thermally broken ones exist – aren’t they all thermally broken due to their nature)?

alexking
    Participant

The thermally broken/non thermally broken applies to aluminum frames. I’ve never heard that in reference to uPVC. uPVC is already a reasonable insulator so doesn’t need to be “thermally broken”?

Kat Achterberg
    Participant

Yes, that is what I thought as well. The reasoning for having a “thermally broken” uPVC frame was that there is a steel frame encased in the uPVC which would conduct heat and thus should be thermally broken.

Jonny Parker
    Participant

Hi,

Great question.

uPVC joinery consists of a series of sealed air chambers in a lattice of uPVC. This offers a far greater thermal performance as it phases down the heat transmission using trapped compartmentalized air.

So its a very different design to a thermal break which is normally a single layer of uPVC sandwiched between aluminum joinery. (No air to phase down heat transmission)

Cheers

Jonny

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.